All content on this blog is protected under copyright, unless indicated otherwise. If you would like to share something do so by linking here or email me.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

My pacing steed

There are no grand adventures for me to report just yet. So far, only quiet ones set in the countryside. I've taken up a truly Dutch habit - bike riding.



I have gone on a thirty minute route, which circuits the pastures surrounding the village and turns me back again in a corner of Edam, about every other day for a week now. The path takes me through quaint scenery and clouds of gnats. My favorite stretch is when the setting sun is first to my right then, as I take a curve, falls to my back. First my shadow speeds along on the pasture below, moving alongside me like we're racing, then shifts in front so it seems I am chasing myself. I also like wearing my light, black sweater and leaving the buttons undone so when I go fast enough it explodes behind me in the wind like ferocious black wings.



The weather has been pleasant. Warm and sunny. It truly feels like summer and I only realize how much sun I've been getting when I look at the skin on top of my feet, my wrists, or the freckles stretching across the bridge of my nose and cheeks.

After having such a busy life during May and June because of school, graduation, and preparation for Holland it is nice to finally nestle myself into days that pass slowly and steadily. Even if the children are badly behaved one moment than painfully adorable the next.

Not only am I finally starting to settle (if ever a soul like mine can consider itself settled) but I am at last finding things that I like here. Right now, they're mostly small moments or scenes. Like seeing the reflection of the red sun in the bathroom mirror when I brush my teeth before bed (the sun sets after 10pm here). Or watching American television shows with Dutch subtitles.

I have a nice, quiet little life here. Maybe this is also part of what it means to be Dutch.

1 comment: