All content on this blog is protected under copyright, unless indicated otherwise. If you would like to share something do so by linking here or email me.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Adventure in Amsterdam - 07.10.2010

Here is the thing about adventures - they always involve risk and danger. Adventures aren't planned out. You don't make reservations for adventures. Leave a deposit or sign a contract. Adventures just happen and they're always subject to the elements. There's always a dragon to slay, a code to crack, a wizard to trick. Even if you have a map marked with an 'X' and the promise of treasure at the end. Yesterday, my first adventure in Amsterdam on my own, included all those things. Metaphorically speaking.

I packed a bag with the necessary tools and "weapons" for my quest (camera, notebooks, travel guide, wallet, maps). I strapped on my armor (a new dress and favorite thrifted belt).



Then, I set off on my pacing steed. My host father told me to just follow the bike path and ran his finger along the map to show me how to get to the station. But sometimes following directions doesn't always work out. I am usually a very good navigator. My internal compass is excellent. But I got lost. I mean, I wasn't lost in the sense that I had no idea where I was. I knew my location on the map. But lost as in I couldn't find the right place to turn. I don't know how many times I thought "oh, it must be this direction" or had to turn around but I finally got to the right side of the canal and to the station. I figured out the ticket kiosk and paid my fare in coins because it didn't read my debit card. I instictively guessed which side of the tracks I should be on and waited for the trip to really begin.

The other thing about adventures is that even if you're a lonely traveler you always meet people along the way. The first such encounter for me was at the station. A woman joined me on the platform and asked (first in Dutch then English) if this was the side for service to Amsterdam. I said I wasn't sure but I thought so. We boarded the train and it was the right one. Until it reached the end of the line and the only two people left, me and a woman in purple, were told to get off. The woman in purple seemed just as confused as me and she approached the attendant. I assumed she was trying to get to Amsterdam Centraal as well, so I followed her when she changed over to another platform and another train.

Finally, I made it to the city. I was thirsty, sticky with sweat from the heat on the stuffy train cars, and my legs were already sore from bicycling. Before I left the house I hadn't done much preparation. I had a few places in mind, a vintage store and a book exchange, but knew that in the few hours I had it was probably just best to explore. So, I set off in the general direction of the Nine Streets. When I reached the Homomonument and saw a sign pointing towards Anne Frank's house I paused for a drink on a bench outside Westermarkt.


Homomonument.

Westermarkt.


I consulted my maps then set off for the vintage store, Lady Day. I got there as it was preparing to close so I was not able to thoroughly inspect the racks, but I spent 15€ on a skirt and blouse. I marked it on my map with an 'X' to return next time. Here be treasure. Floral prints, tarnished buttons, musty air, and old leather pocketbooks.



I wandered some more then pushed my way into a busy Albert Heijn (supermarket chain) because I was thirsty again. When traveling it is always cheaper to buy food at a grocery store than a cafe or restauraunt. I've made it a rule for myself to only eat once a day at a sit down place and picnic in a park or on a bench for other meals. For my afternoon snack I enjoyed some peanut butter on the steps of the Magna Plaza shopping center. This is when I encountered another adventurer - a Swedish girl with decaying red lipstick and a belted dress similar to mine. She asked me for directions. Once again the guide book map was consulted (it proved unhelpful for this particular situation) and again we fellow adventurers went off on our ways.

Pardon me for shaming the wonderful array of cuisine and delicious dining in Amsterdam, but I had dinner at McDonald's. I was worried about getting back to Purmerend at a decent time so I wouldn't have to bike back to Middelie in the dark. There were no other establishments in my direct vicinity at the time promising fast food. So, I gave in and didn't even bother finishing my fries.


Singel Canal, part of Nine Streets.


I made sure to utilize the helpful information desk at the station to see which trains and transfers I needed to get back. (7a to Zaandam then switch to 1 toward Hoorn.) Therefore, I made it in less than half the time it took me to get there. On my bike this time I knew exactly where I was going. The embarrassing but quick dinner at McDonald's turned out to be a good idea because I made it to the house just before it started storming.

The jar of peanut butter is still mostly full and sitting on my nightstand. Despite a hotter-than-normal shower my leg muscles still feel like stone. My iPod battery is low. The stretch of skin between my shoulder blades is tender with sunburn. There are blisters on only one foot. I got lost. I wandered. I was always thirsty. But Amsterdam was definitely a worthy adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment