All content on this blog is protected under copyright, unless indicated otherwise. If you would like to share something do so by linking here or email me.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Have love, will travel

I have a three day weekend coming up so the past week or so I've been putting together plans for a little trip to Brussels. Even though I don't have to watch the children on Monday, I'm leaving Saturday morning and returning Sunday evening. It turned out that way simply because train tickets were cheaper at those times. Monday will most likely be another day in Amsterdam.

One of my mottos when it comes to trips like this: have a plan but don't stick to it. Leave room for a few whims and wanderings. When I planned my first trip on my own, without a tour group or school schedule, I researched and planned out every minute detail. But when I got to there (London) I quickly realized that I had much more fun if I just went along with how I was feeling. I had the hours and locations of what I wanted to see, so I just went along with my mood each day. I didn't get to see everything but I felt like if I rushed through with my perfectly organized itinerary I wouldn't have been present in all those places.

Since I know very little about Belgium aside from the fact that it is mainly characterized by good beer and chocolate, it has been slightly overwhelming trying to figure out what I am going to do while there. So far, I have filled a few pages in my small notebook for travel notes. Sections include places of interest such as museums, restaurants/cafes/pubs, and areas ideal for shopping. Really the only thing I am absolutely sure about is the flea market at the Marolles-Place du Jeu de Balle. We'll see what happens.

And so I've collected a few sites and links that I've found helpful for this sort of thing:

36 Hours In...
The New York Times has a running column outlining various things to do, see, and eat in cities throughout the world. There is even one for Athens, Georgia. I found this to be a nice place to start thinking about the possibilities available for a weekend in Brussels.

Accommodations
There are so many sites out there for finding a place to stay. This is usually the hard part of the planning process. Especially if you're on a budget. You want a clean bed in an acceptable location. Location is the first sacrifice to be made, which is fine as long as the hotel is in area connected to public transportation. These are the sites I prefer:
Venere
Booking
Hostel World

Discount Tourism Passes
Most major cities in Europe have cards that allow you free entrance to popular museums and discounts at participating resteraunts, attractions, and shops. However, I have found that the best part about these cards is that most tend to cover public transportation ticket fees as well. This is where it really proves it's worth, especially for larger cities where it is impossible to get around the city entirely on foot. Other possible bonuses include not having to wait in line for entrance to busy museums and a free map.
Amsterdam
Barcelona
Brussels
Dublin
Lisbon
London
Paris
Prague
Rome
Venice

Rick Steve's Europe Through the Back Door
This is the guy when it comes to travel tips and reviews. He has been at it since the 80's, has seen it all, and has written about nearly every crevice in Europe. He has his own TV show, radio show, and line of guide books. My Minnesotan readers would be happy to know that he is a good ol' Lutheran and an upstanding guy, even if a little corny at times. You can't help but like him.

Like-a-Local
I just discovered this site today so I still don't know that much about it. The idea behind it is excellent but I don't know how well it works in reality. Basically, you can search for locals offering to meet-up with tourists and give them a taste of their native surroundings. Depending on what you're looking for there are people offering an afternoon of vintage shopping, a home cooked meal, canal boat tours with the family, or morning coffee near the train station. The activities, durations, and prices vary city-to-city and when you've picked your friend for a day you proceed by making a reservation with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment