All content on this blog is protected under copyright, unless indicated otherwise. If you would like to share something do so by linking here or email me.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

An Adventure in Edam

At last, I have something to write about that doesn't involve the children or my secret homesickness. Yesterday, I went into Edam to explore on my own. My bike route turns through a corner of the town's residential outskirts but I really had no idea how to get to the city center by bike. The map in my Netherlands book and the ones I found on the internet were not helpful. I figured the only way I could get there was if I just swallowed my pride and accepted the task of looking like a lost tourist for the afternoon. So, I rode to the corner at the end of the bike path and just kept going instead of turning around.



I followed the signs for Noord-Edam and just continued in that general direction. I crossed a busy round about, concentrating on not hitting a patch of gravel or being hit by a car. Then the pavement changed to uneven, stone streets. I passed a group of people around my age speaking English to each other with British accents. At least I knew I wouldn't be the only one not speaking Dutch. Then I found myself in the square my host family showed me when they took me by car. At the time the square had been filled with people dressed in orange for the World Cup and dancing to a live band, not empty in the Saturday sun. I really only recognized it because there is a gelato shop on one end which I noticed last time. (I always mentally mark the location of any gelato shop I come across.) From there I made it to the main street and parked my bike by a souvenir shop.



The first thing I did was buy postcards and stamps. I stepped in and out of various shops, not really intent on anything but looking casually. Just that little bit of freedom was pleasant. Refreshing, I guess you could even say, after about three weeks of routines and unfamiliarity. To be entirely honest though, it was a bit dull to be by myself. I think visiting a town like Edam by oneself can be dull because it is so small and quaint - the type of place where you have to turn to your companion and comment on the sweets shop or the tilted angle of the old buildings along the canal. In a city, like Florence for example, it isn't so noticeable that you're alone. There's so many people that even you don't notice. I still can't really explain the difference or why I felt the heaviness of solitude in such a way. Me, so independent, feel that way? Yes. Further proof of how much things have changed in my life and how I've even changed these past few months.



The humidity had me very sticky and uncomfortable so I went into a bakery for some ice cream. There was a British couple ahead of me at the counter making their order awkwardly and paying awkwardly. With two scoops (cookie and panna cotta) on a cone, I perched myself at one of the tiny tables under the awning outside. A middle aged woman made some comment to me in Dutch. I did not have the slightest idea what she said but I was almost certain it was a question so I smiled, nodded, and replied "ya" with gentle enthusiasm. I assume she had simply remarked about the day. "Nice weather we are having, isn't it?" Or about my melting treat. "Well, doesn't that look delicious?"



However, the sunny weather broke not long after. Rain had been predicted so I finished my ice cream, crunched on the cone on my way to the information stall about the cheese market, for which Edam is most known. There I encountered another British couple who were asking about how and where they should park their care. I was reminded of my bike and the impending storm so I tasted the sample cheese quickly then set off back to Middelie.



The clouds, which had come in suddenly at first, slowed as soon as I was almost back to the house. Exhilarated from my first little, lonely adventure I decided to go for an extra loop on the bike path. The wind really picked up and when I pulled into the driveway I was exhausted from having to pedal against it on all the longest stretches. The rain started just as I got my keys for the front door out of my bag. The house was empty and grey, my host family gone on some errand, so the rain echoed loudly through the open windows.

I took a brief shower and laid atop my barely made bed, still buzzing from pedaling so fast and slightly sick from the earlier anxiety about getting lost, being alone, and eating ice cream in the heat. I need to prepare myself for Amsterdam if a trip just over the way to Edam was so exhausting.

1 comment: