All content on this blog is protected under copyright, unless indicated otherwise. If you would like to share something do so by linking here or email me.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Christmas in November

Back in August I asked my mom to send me a few things. We went over the list multiple times, trying to trim it down so it would fit in one box and not significantly increase the weight of my luggage when I fly home. Last weekend my dad took it to the post office and emailed me the tracking numbers. Three tracking numbers, to be exact, which baffled me because I expected only the one box. "You'll see why there are three when you get them," my mom explained. I was constantly refreshing the USPS page until all the boxes had cleared customs. Then, on Friday morning, I saw the delivery man pull up outside the house.



I signed for each one and carried them into the kitchen. Rosa was just as excited as I was to open them so we set up on the kitchen table. I tried to record myself opening each one but my camera kept cutting out and some chunks are missing, but I'll edit it all together and upload it to my parents so they can see my reactions.



All of the items I requested were included in a mix of extra surprises. A plethora of candy for me and the children. A book club book my mom thought I'd like. A CD she likes. A favorite nightgown and some new pajamasn. A postcard and keychain from Harry Potter World. A gift Paul, the French foreign exchange student, left for me in my room. A purse my dad bought me in New York. And all sorts of other goodies. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. I felt like a spoiled little girl again. Especially when I found the little note my wonderful mother wrote. The giddiness still hasn't faded.


I have the best mom in the world. Proof.


Then on Sunday Sinterklaas came to the village. He comes to Holland from Spain via boat every year in mid-November. With his assistant Zwarte Piet, who disperses pepernoten (gingerbread cookies) and other sweets to the children, he parades through the streets on a grey or white horse.


Roeland watching the band.

Zwarte Piets.

Another Zwarte Piet.

First sighting.





Last Thursday was St. Martin's Day. It is traditionally celebrated on November 11th. Children go from door to door with paper lanterns and sing for candy. The weather was incredibly windy and cold so Rosa and Roeland didn't participate this year. Instead they ran around the house with their lanterns, crashing into furniture in the dark while singing the song at the top of their lungs. So, although I missed that particular Dutch holiday I still got to see Sinterklaas and I got some sweet surprises from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment